News

Chimney fire causes $150,000 in damages to Maple Bay home

A chimney fire that spread into the attic of a home on Janet Place in Maple Bay caused approximately $150,000 in damages last night.

Maple Bay firefighters responded to the house fire in the 1200 block of Janet Place shortly after 6 p.m. Thursday.

“The fire itself was out fairly quickly, but because of the restrictions to attic access and some false walls, we were in mop up (looking for hot spots, etc.) for awhile,” fire chief Andy Stewart said on Friday morning. “We were there until about 9 o’clock.”

Approximately 25 volunteer firefighters attended the scene in four trucks, and B.C. Ambulance paramedics were also called.

The residents of the house, who were at home when the fire started, were not injured.

North Cowichan’s local assistant to the fire commissioner, Rob Clark, confirmed a chimney fire caused the blaze.

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Site C dam construction to start next summer
 
Counterattack efforts increased for the holidays
 
Sirens sound for valley food banks
Police dig for your help in excavator theft
 
Black Press announces transactions with Glacier Media
 
B.C. to announce Peace River dam decision
No firm answers for Jordan River residents
 
Hospitals Project creating local jobs, joins forces with education programs
 
Hit-and-run death in Fanny Bay

Community Events, December 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Dec 12 edition online now. Browse the archives.