News

Investigation continues into possible arson

A possible case of arson that torched an Alderlea Street home on Dec. 7 is still under investigation, along with a suspect, police say.

Sgt. Jack McNeil of the North Cowichan/Duncan RCMP said the Duncan blaze is “certainly suspicious and we’re treating it as arson.”

A 29-year-old male taken into custody at the time of the inferno remains a primary suspect. That man has been released without charges, McNeil said of the 3 p.m. blaze that gutted the home.

“That house was a rental at the time.

“The owners are insured; the occupants aren’t homeless — they’ve been absorbed by family members locally, so there is a roof over their heads.

“We’re actively investigating this is an arson and a fire of suspicious origin.”

The cops continue working with the fire marshall to determine the blaze’s exact cause.

“The big loser is the property owner — and the family for having lost its effects,” McNeil said.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Grads to Watch: Jordan Hill
 
North Cowichan confirms restructure question, Duncan still to decide
 
New arena a boost for Shawnigan Lake School hockey program and the community
Police: UPS gunman had been fired before shooting
 
Election battleground: Oak Bay-Gordon Head
 
Gone but not forgotten
NDP MLAs lining up for leadership race to replace Adrian Dix
 
Black bear goes for the salmon at Stamp Falls
 
Minister rejects report of ALR demise

Community Events, September 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Sep 19 edition online now. Browse the archives.