- BC Games
North Cowichan firefighters battle relatively rare greenhouse blaze
Investigation continues into Tuesday night's blaze that gutted a greenhouse at a home on Lanchaster Road, fire officials say.
Capt. Craig Douglas of North Cowichan's south-end hall said a dozen crew members fought the 10:15 p.m. fire in the plastic, wood-frame greenhouse that was separate from the nearby home.
"It was pretty much gone when we got there," he said of the relatively rare greenhouse fire.
"These structures don't take much to burn. It was pretty-much a write-off, and we put out what was left."
No injuries happened during the inferno fought by firefighters wearing air bottles against potential toxins produced.
It was unknown if the greenhouse was insured, Douglas said.