News

Vision 2012: politics then

  -
— image credit:

Mud and dust were likely factors in Duncan's separation from North Cowichan in 1912.

In his book, Small City in a Big Valley, local historian Tom Henry explains the genesis of Duncan's creation is obscure, but it's not unreasonable to assume the differences between farm and city folk played a role.

"Certainly Duncan's merchants were grousing about the municipal government's apparent favouritism of rural constituents in the early years of the century," he wrote. "By 1907 they were indignantly threatening full-blown independence if North Cowichan did not start providing more services."

Taxes were an issue, says Henry, as was sewage, but dust and mud may have been the proverbial last straw.

"For a town that was boasting of its verdant setting, Duncan in the early 1900s produced a fantastic amount of dust," Henry writes.

That dust didn't include just dirt. It was a pulverized mixture of feces from creatures big and small — including "indiscreet humans."

And in the winter, that dust became mud so deep locals described a small lake at the corner of Craig and Station streets.

According to James Greig, "'It was no uncommon thing to get a liberal douching of mud when passing along the old wooden sidewalks.'

But Henry figures that had the winter between 1911 and 1912 not been so wet, the tension between Duncan and North Cowichan may have remained on a perennial low-boil.

As usual, says Henry, the streets turned to slime.

"Unending mud hole" was one description. "Slough of Despond" was another. But the addition of nearly pure sewage pushed even the fence-sitting Cowichan Leader to call for action.

"The rhetoric played to the hand of the merchants who had been lobbying for a municipal split," Henry writes.

W.H. Hayward solicited special legislation to allow Duncan to leave North Cowichan. Realtor Islay Mutter collected the necessary signatures from eligible voters. And Kenneth Duncan negotiated the new boundaries.

"Once set in gear the machine of independence moved swiftly," Henry writes.

"On March 4, 1912, Letters Patent were issued and 345 hectares were severed from the southern portion of the municipality to become the City of Duncan."

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

NDP blasts lottery corporation spending
 
Grant aims to promote physical literacy for kids
 
Coroner confirms body that of missing senior
Counterattack efforts increased for the holidays
 
B.C. oil refinery backers move ahead
 
Site C dam construction to start next summer
West Coast Wild: Break the ice
 
Local 10-year-old declares the right to a healthy environment
 
Possible bomb threat at Safeway

Community Events, December 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Dec 12 edition online now. Browse the archives.