- BC Games
Duncan man handed the keys
By the way, did you hear:
• Kees Van Jaarsveld of Duncan won a one-year lease of a Jetta from Harbourview Volkswagen, July 26 in the Nanaimo Airport’s Thanks a Million contest.
• The South Cowichan Chamber of Commerce welcomes its new members, the Kerry Park Recreation Centre and the Oceanfront Suites at Cowichan Bay.
• Chemainus Chamber of Commerce co-ordinator Jeanne Ross tells us their summer intern Jenna is coordinating the Visitor Centre’s new Facebook page. If you have an event you want to promote call her at 250-246-3944, (right after you post it to Cowichan’s best events calendar at cowichannewsleader.com.
• The Kings of Cowichan fundraisers are at it again. Cowichan Bay’s Cathy King and her 14-year-old son Koltin are doing the Great Lake Walk on his birthday to raise funds for Muscular Dystrophy Canada. They are mother and brother tp Kalliana King, a local pre-teen who received national attention earlier this year for her fundraising efforts for the same cause. It’s one of many causes people will be walking for on Sept. 15.
• Robert Hoban has been assigned to the position of vice-principal of Frances Kelsey Secondary School, while Kristen Robinson has been assigned to the same position at George Bonner Middle School.
• Kathryn Swan, Marjorie Jones and Joy McNeill were among those joining Eric Marshall on recent Elder Colllege field trips to Thetis Island and Cherry Point Public Beach to study the sea creatures revealed by extremes low tides. Dorothy Marshall says Elder College will be offering all kinds of intriguing courses in a variety of areas in the fall. Call 250-746-0414 for information.
• Nicole Boucher is the new principal of Lake Cowichan Middle/Secondary School, after VP stints at George Bonner Middle School, Quamichan Middle School and Lake Cowichan Secondary School.
• James Dumont of Cowichan Bay and Hanna Davis of Duncan are two of just 12 people from across Canada to earn $2, 000 Communications, Energy and Paperworkers Union of Canada scholarships this year.
• Chemainus is busy preparing to host the Congress on Economic Development Through the Arts, Culture &Tourism during the 8th Global Mural Conference, Sept. 10 to 13.
Exciting things happening for you, your friends or your family that you want to share with your community? Send us a quick email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’d love to spread the word.