Dancer spins her way to second
By the way, did you hear:
• Duncan’s Angela Warnock, quoted in our Sept. 14 story on kids’ pole dancing, came in second place in the semi-pro division of the first annual B.C. Pole Fitness Championships in Campbell River Sept. 15.
• A grateful Maureen Gallacher is offering a heartfelt thank you to the staff at Duncan Safeway after losing her wallet with “all I possess” in it. They eased her panic and had it back in her hands — thanks to the person who found it and turned it in to security — within a half-hour.
• Cowichan Therapeutic Riding Association executive director Jennifer Barnes van Elk is thrilled about the creation of a new program - the Stable Management Vocational Development Program, designed to offer training and enhance job opportunities for people with disabilities in horse-related fields.
• Veterans and active military personnel can get a complimentary stay at Jacquie Gordon’s B&B in Duncan this Remembrance Day as part of a campaign called B&B for Vets.
• Following in the wake of many who have gone before her, Estell Crews of Sydney swam from Arbutus Park in Youbou to the Cowichan Lake Marina on Sept. 7, along with long-time friend and triathlete, Keith Evans. They were escorted in their 7 1/2-hour journey by Ryan Mazis and his father from Orka Outdoor Recreation and Kayaking in a speed boat, as well as a friend in a kayak. Pastor Vicki Marrs blessed the swim before the two took to the water. Crews’ next challenge will be the Greek Islands and Croatia over the next couple of years.
• Chemainus Secondary School vice-principal Mike Martin tells us Sept. 14 was Green Day at the school. A zero-waste barbecue kicked off a year-long zero-waste initiative. Teacher Nancy Henry and a student Energy Ambassadors team including Rachel Boudreau are spearheading the project. Staff at the Flowering Tree Natural Spa suggested area businesses wear green on Fridays as a show of support.
• School District 79 trustee Mike McKay tells us district energy manager Brian Branting has been nominated for a PowerSmart award in recognition of the commitment being made in SD79 schools and other facilities to conserve energy, reduce costs and be kinder to the planet.
Exciting things happening for you, your friends or your family that you want to share with your community? Send me a quick email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’d love to spread the word.