There’s a reason for hairy lips
By the way, did you hear:
• Grant M. Waldman of Westcoastmen.org reminds us there is a reason for the explosion of lip hair around the valley this month: “It’s Movember an opportunity for men to grow a moustache in honour of Men’s Health Month. I would invite anyone out there to remind men in your life that you care about their health and hope that they are taking proper care of themselves.”
• A big Cowichan welcome to Troy Scott, the new program director and Road Show host for 89.7 SUN FM. Scott comes our way from the Okanagan and his hometown is Winnipeg.
• Want to help the Cowichan Valley Basket Society? Manager Colleen Fuller tells us Duncan’s food bank is participating in a Kraft Foods program that could see up to $125,000 donated to food banks across the country. Head to kraftfoodforfamilies.ca/ and give them a daily vote to help Cowichan get its share.
• Mill Bay’s Manuel Erickson says what he was sure was a despicable trick on Halloween became an incredible treat. He owns a small airplane at Nanaimo Airport, and keeps records for the plane in a folio, including his pilot licence and medical information, navigation computer, maps and a chequebook. He lost it in Nanaimo’s Port Place shopping centre. But he returned home to young woman’s voice on his machine: she had his case and returned it, safe and intact.
• Another big valley welcome to Dominic Rockall from Port Alberni, who is now executive director of the Clements Centre Society. Doug Orr has retired after nine years in that role. Jillian Napier says the centre is hosting an open house from 3 to 5 p.m. on Nov. 21 to welcome Rockall to the community.
• Meanwhile, the Chemainus Chamber of Commerce received a whopping 291 nominations for the Golden Brush awards, for 87 companies and 43 individuals. The winners will be announced Nov. 24.
• Organizers of the 13th-annual Vancouver Island Business Excellence Awards are anticipating a last minute push prior to the Nov. 15 deadline for nominations. The popular event celebrating the best of Vancouver Island business will be held Jan. 24 at the Vancouver Island Conference Centre in Nanaimo. Nominate a Cowichan business at businessvi.ca/events.
Exciting things happening for you, your friends or your family that you want to share with your community? Send me a quick email at email@example.com. We’d love to spread the word.