Cowichan News Leader

Updated: Some apartment-blaze tenants to start heading home Thursday

Smoking in bed is the suspected cause of Friday
Smoking in bed is the suspected cause of Friday's early-morning fire that evacuated Chemainus residents from the 50-suite Pine Street complex until insurance and safety issues are settled.
— image credit: Courtesy Heather Andrews

Residents of Chemainus' fire-damaged Lockwood Villa apartment could start returning home Thursday, a regional emergency services official says.

"Nobody's getting in before Thursday," Sybille Sanderson said of 53 folks evacuated from Lockwood during Friday's early morning blaze.

Smoking in bed is the suspected cause of the 3:30 a.m. fire in a second-floor suite of four-floor Lockwood on Chemainus' Pine Street — just down the street from Mural Town's fire hall, assistant to the fire commissioner Rob Clark said.

Residents were to meet with insurance agents and other officials Sunday in Chemainus' Best Western Inn.

Tenants were evacuated from the 50-unit complex as alarms sounded, and fire damaged a man's second-floor suite.

That 61-year-old suffered minor smoke inhalation and was taken to hospital, Clark said.

"His suite is pretty well a total loss."

All other residents of the 1970s-era building, managed by the firm Meicor, were given accommodation through Cowichan region's emergency services.

"Some are staying with friends and family, some are at hotels — they're all over the place," Sanderson said.

Insurance investigation will determine exactly when folks can return to their suites in the strata-run, fully-occupied complex that received various levels of smoke and water damage.

"Health and safety is the most important thing right now," Clark said of getting Lockwood's fire-alarm system reactivated and other issues handled.

Meanwhile, he agreed firefighter response was swift with the burning apartment sitting about 100 yards from the hall.

Chemainus firefighters received pumper assistance, plus five crew members, from Crofton's hall.

A happy note saw Chemainus Bakery and Utopia Bakery donate baked goods to volunteer firefighters and the displaced residents, a paramedic said.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

De Groot family outraged: Sister of dead Slocan suspect says police overreacted
 
Penticton rolls out the red carpet for WestJet
 
Valley sparkles with The Sound of Music
Hambleton Galleries hosts opening for two artists
 
Cannery Brewing Company breaks ground
 
Heart of Our City: Jasper Nolos gets reacquainted with home
District of Sparwood Councillor Candidate: Bobbie Saga is running for her first term in the District of Sparwood
 
Fulton students stuff the bus
 
Kootenay corporate community gets kids in the great outdoors

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 24 edition online now. Browse the archives.