Mistreated and liking it a lot
By the way, did you hear:
• Les Mann tells us local band Lucy Mistreated received a lot of positive comments in the wake of a recent NLP article. He thinks the Peter W. Rusland piece helped the band jump from fourth place to second in best teen band in B.C. competition. Vote here.
• Arlene Robinson wants the community to know that Neighbourhood House in Chemainus is collecting gently used household furniture to help out the families who lost their belongings in the Lockwood Villa apartment fire last month. Give her a call at 250-246-3203 if you can help out.
• Condolences to the family of Ron Jarvis, the local doctor who died late last month at the age of 58 after a six-year struggle with early-onset dementia. Ron was the early face of Cowichan’s edition of the annual Walk For The Memories.
• In other Walk for Memories news, Duncan’s Bill Zylstra of Investors Group received a framed print by B.C. artist Ted Harrison in recognition of the company’s support as title sponsorship of the latest edition of the walk. This year the walk was dedicated to Janice Rees.
• Add Charles Davidson of Cobble Hill to the list of locals sharing stories of Cowichan Christmas spirit. He lost his wallet 10 days before Christmas only to hear a friendly voice from Walmart accounting office, informing me that a wallet bearing my name had been handed in. He writes: “I wish to thank the gentleman who handed it in, complete with all contents, including cash. I intend to give a donation to the local food bank to express my gratitude.”
• Andrew Teufel, manager of the new Duncan Wellness Centre tells us the former Applied Somatics has changed its name and now features four massage therapists: Cathy Relke; Heather Fergus; Violet Reynolds and Teufel (who also teach Somatics and yoga); acupuncturist Denise D’Fantis; exercise physiologist Bev Mitchell and tai chi instructor Jet Li.
• Michael Watkins of Duncan and Thoralf M. Gran-Ruaz of Cobble Hill are celebrating the 11th-consecutive year their financial services firm Edward Jones was named by Aon Hewitt to the “50 Best Employers in Canada” list, published in Maclean’s magazine. The firm ranked in the No. 14 spot.
Exciting things happening for you, your friends or your family that you want to share with your community? Send me a quick email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’d love to spread the word.