- BC Games
By the way: Siefken up for writing award
By the way, did you hear:
• Congratulations to former NLP reporter Krista Siefken, up for a B.C./Yukon Community Newspaper Association writing award for her story Finding forgiveness. The piece covered family reactions in the wake of the arrest of William Elliott in the deaths of Tyeshia Jones and Karrie Ann Stone. Krista is now living in England.
• It might sound like the punch line for a knock-knock joke, but the Thrifty Foods “Orange You Glad You Helped A Kid” fundraiser is creating smiles for different reasons. Thrifty’s is giving $1 from store sales of organic Buck Brand oranges until March 5 to help local KidSport chapters put needy children in sports.
• General manager Donna Petrie is excited about Friday’s looming grand opening of The Old Fork, a new restaurant in the Silver Bridge Motor Inn. An all-day breakfast and lunch eatery, the Old Fork promises old favourites such as bananas foster, giant flapjacks and praline bacon waffles in an environment restaurant concept designer and director Chris Jones wants to make you feel like you are back at home, in mom’s kitchen.
• All Cowichan branches of Vancouver Island Regional Library are celebrating Freedom to Read Week this week. Look for students from the Vancouver Island University class English 435: Children’s Literature: Freedom to Read (taught by Professor Terri Doughty) displaying posters on challenged children’s and youth books at the Cowichan branch.
• Heard interesting news recently from proud mom Cathy Head about her son Connor’s band The Royal Canadians. The band is entered in the CBC Searchlight competition and needs votes for them and their song Waltz to advance. Vote daily here
• Ron Minks’ Duncan branch of Snap Fitness is participating in a $25,000 Lose Weight Challenge this March, giving members the chance to win thousands of dollars in cash, prizes, or a sunny vacation as extra motivation to get fit. The challenge kicks off March 4 and runs through April 15. In addition to the national campaign, manager Jessica Kato-Koch said the Duncan club will be awarding local prizes to members as well. Call 250-748-0001 or visit their website.
Exciting things happening for you, your friends or your family that you want to share with your community? Send me a quick email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’d love to spread the word.