- BC Games
Smashing visit for Parksville pair
By the way, did you hear:
• Chemainus Secondary School saluted its top students last month. Vice-principal Mike Martin tells us the major award winners were: Jami-Lynne Dalziel (most improved student), Jace Kenny (school spirit and outstanding effort awards), Claire Saunders (citizenship and outstanding effort awards, and the principal’s award, Emily Bumstead (staff award for service) and Justin Therrien (staff award for service).
• Congratulations to financial advisor Louis Bazinet, who has been named to take over the Duncan office of Edward Jones, and will be working with Kristy Landry.
• Excitement came our way from the hallowed halls of Queen Margaret’s School, where Hayley Picard, Leanne Schultz and Maria Jones report the QMS Spring Classic Barn Dance raised $41,000 for the new school learning centre.
• Heather Kaye tells us that hot off the press is the 2013 Buy Local! Buy Fresh! Food Map — your comprehensive guide to locally produced food in Cowichan. Maps are available at Cowichan Green Community’s store and offices, located at 360 Duncan St.
• Parksville’s Bernie and Susan Smith are offering their gratitude to Cowichan residents who helped turn an unfortunate incident into a positive memory.
“On July 3, I pulled our car into the parking lot of Duncan Pets store. Inexplicably, my foot slipped off the brake pedal and onto the accelerator, causing the car to lurch forward and hit the wall. Thankfully, the building didn’t sustain any damage, neither did we, but the car’s front end was not so lucky,” Bernie writes. “Carmen, the owner of Duncan Pets, immediately came to enquire if we were hurt, and a young couple with a little dog who were in a car directly behind us kindly hung around to make sure we were okay. They generously offered us use of their cellphone to enable us to call BCAA, and Steve of Cowichan Towing was most efficient and courteous in towing us home to Parksville. To all these people who readily came to our aid, thank you from the bottom of our hearts.”
• Have you checked out the Chemainus Wednesday Market yet? It runs Wednesdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. until Sept. 25 at Waterwheel Park.
Exciting things happening for you, your friends or your family that you want to share with your community? Send me a quick email at email@example.com. We’d love to spread the word.