- BC Games
Dateline Cowichan: Excited duffers await local golf course debut
Have a notion to play golf this weekend?
Five choices in the Cowichan Valley await your selection including the granddaddy of them all – Cowichan Golf and Country Club. Scoffers and skeptics abounded when a group of golfing enthusiasts announced plans to purchase 72 acres three miles south of Duncan for a golf course.
By August 1948, $5,600 had secured the land, and work was underway to transform 65 acres of the forested rolling property into a golf course. Eight and one half fairways were now ready for preparation, said golf club president W. W. Seymour.
Soon, ploughing, levelling and forming the greens would start with expert advice from Victoria’s A. V. Macan on where to place tees and greens.
The course would be seeded in September, but the eighth fairway would be shorter than planned because of heavy slashing required. A dam had been built to provide storage for a water hazard, and for watering the greens.
By the end of September, the $25,000 raised would be used up. Another $10,000 would be raised for a club house and a water distribution system. Plans for the club house called for a large basement below and a lounge and other facilities upstairs.
A smart modern box office, replacement front canopy and a new “big-city” sign were among upgrades planned for Duncan’s Capital Theatre on the north side of Station Street. New equipment for the projection room would improve screen lighting.
Mrs. E. B. Denny celebrated her 90th birthday with daughters N. C. Denny co-headmistress of Queen Margaret’s School, and Iris Denny; and sons T. H. Denny M. B. E., H. A. M Denny and A. de C. Denny.
Duncan Aero Club had two aircraft on its float based at Quamichan Lake: a two-seat Cessna 140 and a four-seat Stinson station wagon. Miss Helen Harrison, the club’s instructress, and Mr. John Boak were the two pilots based there.