- BC Games
Removing the barriers to better parenting
This year, organizers of Success By 6’s signature parent conference have tackled any barriers for folks who might not have been able to attend the popular workshop-based family gathering.
First and foremost, this year’s Oct. 26 conference is free of charge, whereas in previous years there’s been a cost for participants.
Secondly, Aboriginal Success By 6 co-ordinator Ada Mawson’s made it her mission transportation isn’t an issue, with busing options available.
That, and organizers made sure the one-day event’s promotional material was easily accessible for folks who aren’t computer-literate.
“Quite often transportation is a huge factor for our families and also not every family has access to internet,” explained Success By 6 co-ordinator Laura Court. “We decided to look at what the barriers families are facing and how we could help.”
Those interested in the event organizers are calling “It’s Time...to sing...to play...to talk...to listen...” can register for four workshops, two in the morning and two in afternoon, before the Oct. 21 deadline.
Workshops will take place the Island Savings Centre starting at 10 a.m. after registration, coffee, displays, an opening welcome as well as key note address.
A free lunch and entertainment will also be served between 12:15 and 1:15 p.m. Afternoon workshops commence at 1:30 p.m.
Topics are geared towards children aged birth to six years old.
Babes in arms are welcome in the workshops but child care is also available, but spaces are limited and can be secured by emailing email@example.com or calling 250-701-3647.
For information can be sought by contacting both that email or phone number as well.
“This year, what we’re trying to say is it’s time we all come together. It’s time as a community we can move forward,” said Court.
• Promoting Resilience in Young Children (David Sheftel)
• Healing From The Past to the Present and Into The Future (Bernadine Mawson)
• Helping Young Children Cope with Worries (Dr. Kate Herbert)
• Talk So Kids Will Listen (Marc Lalonde)
• Surviving Family Meals (Cindy Hlus, Julie Kostyk, Christy Thomson)
• Get The Word Out - How Parents Can Use Language To Build A Child’s Brain and Impact Their Future (Robin McDaniel)
• Most Amazing Toy (Marc Lalonde) and Dyslexia Awareness For Children Under Six Years (Karey and Howard deGraaf).