- BC Games
Local teacher VIU valedictorian
By the way, did you hear:
• Congratulations to Gillian Coy for being named valedictorian at the winter convocation at Vancouver Island University. Coy is a learning support teacher at Shawnigan Lake School. After 27 years as dental assistant, she returned to school at age 45 and is graduating with top marks and a Master of Education in Special Education. and is graduating with top marks.
• Cowichan Valley MLA Bill Routley urges local residents to nominate noteworthy friends and neighbours for the Order of British Columbia. Nominations must be received by the first Friday in March. More information and nomination forms online at orderofbc.gov.bc.ca.
Cowichan honourees include (2001) Hwunumetse’ Simon Charlie, (2005) E. J. Hughes, (2007) Josephine Mills, (2008) are Arthur Vickers.
• It’s only February but the ever-efficient Jeanne Ross at the Chemainus and District Chamber of Commerce is just about done organizing this year’s editions of the popular Chemainus Wednesday Market (May 28-Sept. 24) and July Street Market (July 5). She says the volume of calls for both markets has picked up as vendors plan their year. Call 250-246-3944 for information.
• A thumbs up to the Cowichan Search and Rescue team, one of many to have made rescue equipment available for Westcoast SAR to remain operational in the wake of an August fire that devastated the volunteer search and rescue team for Ucluelet and Tofino.
• Morgan Saddington is urging people to stop by PORTALS in the Island Savings Centre and get tickets for the second-annual Experience the Best of the Cowichan Valley Raffle. You could be eligible for prizes from Chemainus Theatre, Cowichan Green Community, The Perogy Factory, Beverly Corners Liquor Store, Cowichan Theatre, B.C. Forest Discovery Centre, Maple Bay Rowing Club, Hellerwork Structural Integration, Station Street Gallery and Frame Shop, Gerard’s Specialty Foods, Odika Café, The Honey Bee Bistro, The Flowering Tree Natural Spa, Nikki Designs, Spinning Ninny, Soul Comfort, Utopia Bakery, Fairburn Farm, Crofton Pub, Bamboletta Dolls, Reflections Retreat and the Vancouver Island Salt Company.
Exciting things happening for you, your friends or your family that you want to share with your community? Send me a quick email at email@example.com. We’d love to spread the word.