- BC Games
Thanks, congrats and free food
By the way, did you hear:
• We’d like to pass along a plug from Kendra Stiwich for the Sunrise Waldorf School Biodynamic basketball team, which recently won its second consecutive boys Grade 8 district championships. Not only is its success pretty cool because the school is one of the valleys smallest, it’s team draws both boys and girls from Grade 7 and 8 and has no gymnasium — it practices on the outdoor court.
• Cowichan’s own Hayes Stewart Little & Company was among the major sponsors of the14th-annual Vancouver Island Business Excellence Awards last month. Among the honourees was the Island Savings Chemainus branch as the Insurance/Financial Services Company of the Year
• The Khowhemun Elementary School community is the proud steward of a new community garden. Principal Darrell Wright offered special thanks to a large group of supporters for helping make Khowhemun Kids Grow become a reality. They include: Home Depot, as well as a work party of staff volunteers, Saunders Subaru, The Shed Guys, Hillside Stone and Garden, Richard Williams for lumber, Dinter’s Nursery and the organizing committee of parents and teachers headed by Caroline Anderson.
• Arbutus Ridge Golf Club general manager Jason Lowe tells us kids under 12 now eat free with their parents until the end of March at the Satellite Bar & Grille.
• Congratulations to the Cowichan Valley Hospice Reel Alternatives film series, which celebrated its 10th anniversary years in February. The program screens about 10 acclaimed films a year at the Cowichan Theatre to audiences of more than 500 and raised more than $160,000 to the Cowichan Valley Hospice Society.
• A warm welcome to the valley to Kyler Nurmsoo, the new rec programmer for Cowichan Lake parks and recreation, a Vernon native who comes here via Ste. Catherine’s Ont.
• Sally Villeneuve is passing along her warm thanks to to the generous strangers who recently helped her change a flat tire discovered as she was returning visiting her doctor to treat a bout of pneumonia.
• Also in the same vein, N. M Wright writes about dropping her wallet in Staples and having a “nice, young man” notice it, and immediately pick it up and return it.
Exciting things happening for you, your friends or your family that you want to share with your community? Send me a quick email at email@example.com. We’d love to spread the word.