Jane scores at Canucks game
By the way, did you hear:
• At least there was a big winner off the ice — and a Duncan resident, at that — since the Vancouver Canucks aren’t winning very often on the ice. Al Jane received a jackpot of $30,670 at the Canucks’ National Hockey League game against the Anaheim Ducks in Vancouver Saturday, March 29. Son Jackson Jane accompanied him to the game and had a good idea what his dad could do with the money. “I’m sure my mom will help him spend it,’’ he laughed.
• Thanks to Cowichan Search and Rescue vice-president Mitch Wright for letting us know the organization recently presented awards to: Martin Williams, receiving the Outstanding Contribution of the Year (aka Member of the Year) honour for his immeasurable effort to help the organization both operationally and administratively; Arin Reim, receiving the Little Nellie Award for her quiet consistency and dependability in all aspects of the group; and John Bocstrom, who left the group after 18 years of membership, receiving the Lifetime Achievement Award for his dedication, determination and bottomless cheer during his time with Cowichan SAR. Look for CSAR informational displays at a number of locations around the valley on weekends throughout April and May.
• Terry Landry of the Malahat Legion says local naval cadets are off to Europe in June for memorial services at Vimy, Menin Gate, Tyne Cott, Beny-sur-Mer and Juno to commemorate the 70th Anniversary of D-Day. If you have a loved one that is buried at any of these cemeteries and you would like a wreath lain, email Terry at email@example.com. The cadets would be pleased to lay one on your behalf.
• Chemainus Harvest House Food Bank is looking for a volunteer treasurer. Please contact Sylvia Massey at 250-246-4816 if you are interested.
• Amusé On The Vineyard and the Genoa Bay Café are among more than 75 of Vancouver Island restaurants taking part in Dining Out For Life, an annual fundraiser that supports island programs and services for people living with and affected by HIV/AIDS. On April 24 participating restaurants will donate 25% of food sales to AIDS Vancouver Island.
Exciting things happening for you, your friends or your family that you want to share with your community? Send me a quick email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’d love to spread the word.