- BC Games
Mobile home fire knocked down quickly
Fast action by neighbours and members of the Shawnigan Lake Volunteer Department resulted in the quick knockdown of a mobile home fire Monday.
Neighbour Darl Siddall first noticed the fire at unit #23 at Shawnigan Mobile Home Park off Wallbank Road just after 11 a.m.
The single occupant of the home and his puppy weren’t home when flames erupted.
“Our main concern was his puppy,” said Siddall, noting he figured his neighbour would be at work in Victoria.
After notifying the fire department, Siddall and other neighbours moved the homeowner’s ‘67 Chevy out of harm’s way, as well as a small trailer, a palm tree, and a couple of small propane tanks.
“All of us neighbours, we jumped on it together,” he said. “There’s not much else you can do but try and salvage as much as you can.”
Neighbour Chris Wahl was watching TV when he heard loud noises.
“I was kind of half paying attention and thought the noises were maybe from the show, but then my dog started going nuts and that’s when I noticed the fire,” he said.
Shawnigan firefighters on scene appeared to be mopping up and checking for hot spots at 11:30 a.m. Smoke was billowing out the home's broken front windows, but no other damage was visible from outside.
The cause of the fire and the degree of interior damage have yet to be determined.