- BC Games
Garage fire also causes smoke damage inside residence
Fast action by the Maple Bay Fire Department prevented a fire that started in a garage at 1526 Magnolia Place from being even more serious.
"I think timing was everything on that,'' said MBFD captain Kelly Paddle.
"The fire itself was confined to the garage.''
But Paddle said it was mere moments away from spreading to the main floor of the attached house when firefighters arrived Sunday around noon.
"Knockdown was very quick, within five minutes,'' said Paddle. "It was all mop-up and lots of it.''
Four trucks and about 15 firefighters were on the scene, Paddle added. After arriving, they first had to determine if the homeowners were in the building.
They found out the residents fled from the exterior of the building, went to a neighbour's place and called 911.
Even though the firemen quickly contained the blaze, damage is extensive and the smoke severely impacted the interior of the residence. "It blackened everything in there,'' said Paddle.
"The entire contents of the garage were burned,'' he added.
That included tools and storage contents.
Cause of the fire was not immediately known.