Are you ready for the adventure?
By the way, did you hear?
• Tara Dupuis and the good folks of the Cowichan Valley Caregivers are less than two weeks away from hosting the tenth edition of their annual fundraiser: the Shawnigan Lake Adventure. On, June 1, at the Shawnigan Lake Community Centre, you can walk, ride or cycle a variety of routes to help those who act as unpaid primary caregivers for family members or loved ones struggling with long-term health issues. For details, visit shawniganlakeadventure.com or call 250-743-6589.
• How about a nice round of applause for the Frances Kelsey Secondary School Interact Club for hosting benefit contest earlier this month to support the Third World Eye Care Society. Kevin van der Linden tells us two-dozen students entertained a crowd that got in for half-price with the donation of a pair of gently used prescription eyeglasses.
• Check out local printmaker Alison MacKenzie's work until the end of the month at the Old Firehouse Wine and Cocktail Bar in downtown Duncan. The show opened May 9 with entertainment by Ron Ingram and Peter Gooch and runs until May 29.
• Contrary to the recent magazine insert, For Love of Animals, Jane Matheson tells us the Cowichan SPCA annual Garage Sale and Barbecue will happen at the Cowichan Exhibition Grounds in Duncan on Saturday, May 31 and Sunday, June 1.
• Cowichan Tribes members are eligible for a new bursary through London Drugs Aboriginal Partnership Bursary Program. Samantha Dutton-Jones tells us London Drugs will be accepting applications from Tribes youth as they embark on their first year of post-secondary education. For information on how to apply contact Stephanie Cheatley at 604-272-7653.
• Gunnell Borge of Sandpiper Gardens and Glass, and Marlie Kelsey of the Shop Chemainus campaign got to congratulate April winner Laura Ellen on winning $300 worth of goodies provided by Old Town Merchants.
• Duncan’s Felix Grosse met Lieutenant-Governor Judith Guichon last month when she presented him with a Silver Youth Duke of Edinburgh’s Award in Burnaby for his excellence in service, athletics, skill development and adventure.
Exciting things happening for you, your friends or your family that you want to share with your community? Send me a quick email at email@example.com. We’d love to spread the word.