Dateline Cowichan: Duncan looks to build campsite by the river
Attracting tourists to the Cowichan Valley has been a long-standing mission for councils and business people alike.
And in May 1925, Duncan Board of Trade was looking at projects to improve tourism. They decided to lease Indian land (sic) to provide a new and permanent tourist camp site at a spot on the Cowichan River next to the property of Mr. F. H. Price, York Road, off Trunk Road, Duncan.
An acre of land could be obtained for $35 a year on a five-year lease, reported tourism committee member W. T. McCuish. It was an ideal spot and city water and electric light were available close by, he said. The only snag: raising $250 to prepare the site.
The committee’s McCuish, F. G. Aldersey and S. R. Kirkham reported some success in their canvass for funds. Many businessmen who had balked at spending money on a site in the Agricultural Grounds would give towards a permanent site over which the board would have no control, they reported.
However, some members felt the City of Duncan should step up and help with the costs. Without the support of the city and municipality, it would be impossible for the board to carry on, remarked H. T. Reed.
Claudia Hamilton as a Chinese girl, Dicky Day and Betty Young as Adam and Eve and Betty Dunne as a swallowtail butterfly were among the 180 children who attended the King’s Daughters’ Hospital annual fancy dress ball held in the Agricultural Hall.
Cowichan poultry breeder Mr. R. W. Tull was in the running to show his Leghorns at the upcoming Empire Exhibition at Wembley, England after his birds’ selection to represent B.C. in the final selection in Ottawa.
With no room for new primary students entering the system, Duncan Consolidated school board decided to ask the community to approve construction of a four-roomed school to be built on five lots across Cairnsmore Road from Duncan High School.