News

Dateline Cowichan: North Cowichan gets into forestry business

The Canadian Scottish Regiment, 2nd Battalion marches along Station street in Duncan in 1940. - courtesy Cowichan Valley Museum and Archive
The Canadian Scottish Regiment, 2nd Battalion marches along Station street in Duncan in 1940.
— image credit: courtesy Cowichan Valley Museum and Archive

There’s pride in knowing North Cowichan is one of the few communities in North America that has privately owned forest lands providing income for the municipality.  In fact, North Cowichan owns 5,000 ha of lands which make up 25% of its total land area.

In July 1953, seven years after the municipality acquired its first forested land, Reeve E. A. Beasley and councillors Murison, Whittaker, Seymour and Douglas decided they would sell what merchantable timber they could at the current high prices and revise the forestry policy.

They would take out land suitable for residential or farming purposes and tie up the remainder with long-term leases for grazing and Christmas tree raising. At the time, the municipality had 200 acres suitable for farming near Osborne Bay.

To ensure all conditions in future timber sales were enforced, the B.C. Forest Service would be asked to supervise the removal of all timber and trees sold and see that the terms of leases were carried out. “

This will tie up future councils from selling the forests for next to nothing,” Beasley said. However, Murison felt that the municipality did not have enough experience to compete with large commercial firms in selling timber.

1953: awards

Cowichan High grade 11 student Sally Townsend was awarded a certificate of merit for her courtesy, service and general efficiency at Station Street’s Odeon Theatre where she was a popular usherette. Ald. Jack Dobson made the presentation.

1953: curling

Cowichan district Community Centre agreed to sell a 100 by 350-ft strip of Community Centre property to the Cowichan Co-operative Curling Association for $1,000. The proposed 80 by 150-ft building would cover five curling surfaces.

1953: Scouts

Bobby Sherman won the Powell Trophy for the best Scout spirit shown during a district camp held at Quamichan Acres. The camp was led by Scoutmaster W. Powell assisted by junior instructor and senior scout Jack Johnson.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Debate night in Castlegar
 
SHSS students perform Les Miserables
 
School District shifts major asset
Terrace, Thornhill amalgamation issue raised
 
Portables at Skeena this fall
 
Flight4Life expects to break world record on Thursday
Zombies roam Baker Street
 
Nelson city council briefs
 
Nelson Polar Bear Swim splashes down

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 24 edition online now. Browse the archives.