News

Dateline Cowichan: Fires a real danger in the Cowichan woods

Duncan’s Emporium construction circa 1901: workers rest during construction of Duncan Emporium’s second location at the corner of Craig and Station streets. - courtesy Cowichan Valley Museum and Archive
Duncan’s Emporium construction circa 1901: workers rest during construction of Duncan Emporium’s second location at the corner of Craig and Station streets.
— image credit: courtesy Cowichan Valley Museum and Archive

Minimal rainfall during spring and summer always prompts advice on preventing fire in the woods.

But in July 1938, the warnings failed when the most famous forest fire in B.C.’s history sprang to life in the forests beyond Campbell River. Before the Bloedel fire was over, it burned some 74,500 acres. Here in Cowichan, the long hot summer drought also took its toll: dense smoke from fires across the Island hung like a pall, logging camps closed, and farmers turned their livestock into their oat fields, saying the oats were not considered worth cutting.

One day, the humidity at Lake Cowichan dropped to 14 and at Duncan 32. In all, 30 fires had sprung up by mid-July. Forestry men spent a weekend attending to a 10-acre fire at Deerholme and a 35-acre blaze on the Malahat. In the municipality, a grass fire near Maple Bay’s Maple Inn was extinguished by municipal workers. On Highland Avenue, off Gibbins Road, 10 youngsters helped the municipality douse a bush fire. According to Duncan city hall, it was the hottest July in four years, with temperatures soaring to 95 degrees F.

The dramatic story of the Bloedel fire is being told at the B.C. Forest Discovery Centre in a new temporary exhibit.

1938: schools

At the annual meeting of Mayo School District held in the senior room of the new two-roomed school, Major L. C. Rattray was re-elected trustee. Mr. L. Kenyon was chosen as auditor.

1938: track

Cowichan track star Yvonne Dingley, a member of Canada’s Empire Games team, won her specialty 90-yard hurdles at a Powell River meet in a time of 13.25 seconds. Her Dominion record was 13.1 seconds.

1938: building

North Cowichan issued building permits to Mr. M. J. Green for a $1,000 house on Drinkwater Road, to Mr. J. C. Norcross for an $800 home on Norcross Road, and to Mr. W. Waldon Jr. for a $750 house on Stamps Road.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

ELECTION 2104: Cow Bay incumbent wants to stay the course, challenger seeks overhaul
 
Valley people: Terrie Pickering
 
Cowichan Aquatic Centre scales back programming as weather improves
Remembrance Day began as Armistice Day
 
UPDATE: B.C. legislature to get security scanner
 
Victoria terror suspects more ‘disgruntled’ than political: expert
VIDEO: Witnesses describe scene at Parliament Hill; Raw footage of Ottawa shootings
 
Alberni Remembrance Day services draw hundreds
 
Cyclists tout green crossing over ravine

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 24 edition online now. Browse the archives.