Come celebrate 40 years of preschool
By the way, did you hear:
• Duncan’s Arcadian Early Learning Centre was launched in 1974. Manager Kate Skye is inviting all of the 1,500 kids and staff that have passed through its doors since that day to help celebrate its 40th anniversary by riding a ‘70s theme float at the Summer Festival Parade on July 12, and joining them on Sept. 19 for an afternoon open house. For more, call 250-748-3922.
• Are you one of the many enjoying the efforts of manager Shannon Peck and the many vendors at Duncan Farmers Market? Snap a picture down there and join in the province-wide Farmers’ Market Selfie Contest. Anyone can enter on their Facebook page.
• Congratulations to the fine folks at Wedderspoon Organic on the launch of their new herb and juice infusion beverages, Platonic Drinks Sebastien Martin’s group is a platinum sponsor for the 39 Days of July.
• Bonnie Griffiths says labour issues meant Veronica Allan couldn’t spend her retirement party in her beloved library at Bonner Elementary on June 18. So her planned retirement celebration became a roadside retirement party outside of Bonner, celebrating Veronica’s dedication and hard work as a valued teacher and award-winning librarian.
• Cerwydden Care Home in Duncan and its accreditation co-ordinator Louise Johnson, RN, received a provincial award of merit at the prestigious province-wide Excellence in B.C. Health Care Awards for “development of an Ethical Decision-Making Framework for complex care,” which helped guide caregivers through those decisions that have no obvious right answers.
• The Chemainus Wednesday market has a new feature: Find Emily. Look for the three booths displaying a picture of Emily the Artist, get year entry stamped at each of these booths and enter to win 20 Chemainus dollars. The first winner was Judy Rumley of Duncan.
• Finally, let us join Wendy Edwards and many others in expressing sorrow for the recent loss of Eulah Jean DeRoche, a notable volunteer force in the Shawnigan/Mill Bay community. She managed the kitchen at the Malahat Legion helped prepare Christmas hampers for the less fortunate, among many other contributions
Exciting things happening for you, your friends or your family that you want to share with your community? Send me a quick email at email@example.com. We’d love to spread the word.