Cowichan rugby teams in three battles Saturday at home

Louis Gudmundseth leads the Cowichan Div. 1 men into battle against Nanaimo Saturday. - Andrew Leong/file
Louis Gudmundseth leads the Cowichan Div. 1 men into battle against Nanaimo Saturday.
— image credit: Andrew Leong/file

It's more than the usual four-pointer when the Cowichan Rugby Club's Div. 1 men's team takes on the Nanaimo Hornets Saturday at the Herd Road Grounds at 2:30 p.m.

Due to two previously cancelled matches because of the snow, the match will be worth double the points in the standings.

It'll be the end of a triple-header that starts at 11:30 a.m. with the Cowichan women taking on Nanaimo followed by the Cowichan Thirds against a newly-formed Vancouver Island University team at 1 p.m.

It's been hard for the Div. 1 Cowichan men to gain any momentum since play resumed after the new year with a game here and a cancellation there.

Comox forfeited its game to Cowichan last weekend, citing a lack of healthy bodies. The bonus point win thus pushed Cowichan into a first-place tie, but denied the team a chance at some much-needed game time.

The Third XV went ahead Sunday against an undermanned Castaways-Wanderers side that was five players short. Cowichan loaned Castaways the required number of players to make it a 15-aside game.

Cowichan kept its unbeaten season going with a solid 46-17 victory. Great games were played by Ryan Spooner and Ty Jones in the forwards and Will Wheaton and Cam Hall in the backs.

The Cowichan Firsts and Thirds travelled to Victoria the previous weekend for games.

The Thirds went against the UVic Saxons and the game ended in a well-earned 22-22 tie.

The Firsts made it a rare day of ties with a 12-12 result against Velox under very difficult circumstances.

"Despite playing well enough to win two matches, we were disappointed to come away with a tie and leave two much-needed points on the field,'' noted coach Gord McGeachy.

The Firsts controlled huge amounts of possession and territory but found themselves trailing 7-0 at halftime.

The second half started with a bang, as Louis Gudmundseth crossed over for an unconverted try. Cowichan kept up the pressure and took its first lead of the game 15 minutes later when Peter Budina scored a try converted by Owen Wood.

"This was followed shortly by a few defensive mistakes which ultimately led to Velox scoring a well-earned try, bringing the score level 12-12,'' McGeachy pointed out.

"We continued to apply pressure and missed several chances to secure the win.''

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Community Events, March 2015

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Mar 6 edition online now. Browse the archives.